Another one for your BUCKET LIST ~ Blair Athol No 4 Coal Mine, Mount Victoria. If you like a bit of ADVENTURE, this short walk could be the go for you. BIGGER KIDS WILL LOVE IT.
• Distance: 1km return
• Time: 30 mins return PLUS browsing time
• Best time of the day: Any time
• Kid-safe: Yes with supervision
• Dogs on-leash: No
• Steps: Normal bush track
• Accessible: No
• Heights: None
• Must do rating out of 10: 7.5
360° Virtual Tour:
TAKE A GOOD TORCH in case you have the courage to go into the mine. It’s VERY DARK, a bit slippery and muddy in places. TAKE CARE. Wear good walking shoes, consider wearing a cap/hat to protect your head and maybe even a mask to eliminate other baddies.
• ACCESS: Travelling west, just before Mount Victoria take the Victoria Falls Road. Drive down there for about 200m until you get to the overhead power cables. Park here: https://w3w.co/activity.attribute.yearnings
Take the right track and walk down the hill for about 150m and take the track. Track start: https://w3w.co/highlander.showing.rewriting The track is well maintained by NPWS.
Follow the track for 500m. The mine: https://w3w.co/triangles.ridden.countering
• The MINE: The tunnel slopes at about 15° and extends about 200m before you reach the 100m flooded section.
• HISTORY: The Blair Athol Coal Mine was the 4th Mine owned by the Blair Athold Coal & Timber company. The mine operated from 1920 until 1923.
DIVING link: https://vimeo.com/90516786
PHOTOS: All photos were taken today and are original ©
✒️ SUBSCRIBE for FREE to one or all 4 of our Newsletters