Those visiting the “Fish River or Binda” caves, now Jenolan Caves, in the 1880s were encouraged to wear tennis shoes to avoid possible death. Not the most positive tourism message.
According to “The pictorial guide to the Blue Mountains of New South Wales and to the districts between Parramatta and Bathurst including the Jenolan Caves” of 1885.
“𝗕𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗖𝗮𝘃𝗲𝘀 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗼 𝗿𝘂𝗻 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗕𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘂𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗮 𝗳𝗲𝘄 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗿𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗰𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝗟𝗮𝘄𝗻 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗶𝘀 𝗦𝗵𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗘. 𝗪𝗘𝗕𝗕 & 𝗖𝗢., 𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗺𝗮𝘆 𝗺𝗮𝘆 𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗮 𝗻𝗮𝘀𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗹𝗹, 𝗶𝗳 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲.”
PHOTO: “This painting is one of the first known images of the Grand Arch at the Jenolan Caves. In 1861, the caves were still relatively unexplored and were known by various names such as the Fish River Caves, the Bindo Caves or McKeown’s Caves. It wasn’t until 1884, when a parish map of the area was being prepared that they were officially named Jenolan Caves, after nearby Mount Jenolan.
This image below was created by George Ferris Pickering’s in 1861, and depicts quite a different scene to what visitors see today. Pickering’s painting is of significance because it shows how the Grand Arch may have originally looked for thousands of years before tourism in the area boomed in 1880s.
🍕𝗦𝗔𝗩𝗘 𝟭𝟬% 𝗮𝘁 𝗣𝗶𝘇𝘇𝗮 𝗦𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗟𝗲𝘂𝗿𝗮 🍕
Using code ASKROZ