UNSAFE DO NOT ENTER
This is the original site of the Queen Victoria Sanitorium and Hospital and is 372.00ha (919.23 acres). Ask Roz link
The original house on the property was built for Kelso King (1853-1943), knighted in 1929, a prominent Sydney businessman, with fingers in many corporate pies, such as insurance, banking, pastoralism, mining and coastal shipping. Around 1890 King and his first wife, Irene Rand, acquired the land which lay mostly on the Tableland but included part of Kedumba Walls and Kedumba Valley below. The Kings built a country retreat on this relatively remote spot, perhaps encouraged by the name Kings Tableland (although the King was not Kelso but George III).
After Kelso’s wife Irene died in 1900, King sold his Tableland house and land to the Committee of the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Homes for Consumptives Fund, a charity that provided facilities and medical treatment for tuberculosis patients, known as consumptives. Medical opinion at the time deemed the climate and fresh air in the Blue Mountains ideal for consumptives, and the Committee built the first of a total three tuberculosis sanatoria based in the Blue Mountains.
The other two sanatoria being Boddington Hospital (now an aged care facility), and the R.T. Hall Home in Hazelbrook (previously the Hall for Children, now Korowal School). All of the three sanatoria were designed by George Sydney Jones who was the son of the leading medical expert on consumption at the time, Dr Philip Sydney Jones. The hospital would continue to be developed and improved by George until 1921.