The Regal Theatre opened on 15th October 1937 and closed in 1975. The building was demolished in 1978 and the Commonwealth Bank now on the site.
Where the Commonwealth Bank stands today was known as Hill’s Corner. The corner was previously known as Campbell’s Corner, after the owner of shops in the 1910s. Campbell’s shops were destroyed by fire in November 1914. Campbell rebuilt on the site, and soon after sold to Hill. Hill’s Corner Chambers were notable as the first “modern” mix of shops, businesses and professional rooms, with three-way garage. Fire destroyed the building in November 1933.
In 1937 a new and luxurious theatre, the Regal, was opened. It was designed in the Art Deco/Moderne style, and was as good as any city cinema of the period. The opening programme was the Janet Gaynor and Frederic March movie A Star is Born. Local workmen were used on the theatre that featured “plate glass and polished maple doors”, “a foyer of terrazzo”, 20,000 pounds worth of RCA sound equipment, and a “crying room” where mothers and infants could enjoy films without disturbing other patrons.