As the latest event on the Leura Village Association’s annual calendar, the Leura Harvest Festival is dedicated to showcasing the outstanding produce, fine fare and innovative sustainability initiatives taking place in the Blue Mountains and wider region.
This community event features an inspired mix of market stalls set among the cherry trees on Leura Mall, along with talks by guest chefs and speakers, who discuss everything from food preserving to clean energy, permaculture, beekeeping and micro-farming.
Head to the front of Leura Newsagency (148 Leura Mall) and for a gold-coin donation you can listen to the following speakers:
- 9.15am: Introduction by Barry Jarrott of Arcadian Aspects, and Leura Village’s gardener
- 9.30am: The Good Life with Pat & Marnie O’Mara, a Katoomba couple living susbsistently on a quarter-acre block
- 10am: Keep Those Hives Pumping – Every Bee is Sacred! with Lyle Clinton of Woodford Honey
- 10.30am: What is ‘Real Food’? with Anne Elliott of Blue Mountains Slow Food, Naturopath Kay Ridgway and Eastern Medicine Practitioner Stephen Phillips
- 11am: Tactile Textiles – From Cottage to Gallery with Denise Lithgow, textile artist and lecturer
- 11.30am: Garage to World Stage – the seasonality and regionality of micro breweries, with Rob Dalglish of Leura Cellars and Jon Shiner of Badlands Brewery
- 12pm: Spade to Spoon with James Howarth of Leura Garage and Fabrice Rolando of First Farm Organics
- 1pm: Edible Gold on Our Doorstep – Col & Sue Roberts of Lowes Mount Truffiere talk about the iconic truffle
- 1.30pm: Chefs’ Hats and Gumboots – Jason Martin, Executive Chef at Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley and our Festival Ambassador, talks about the demand from international tourists for regional food experiences and how this phenomenon is taking chefs from their kitchens and into the paddocks.
Other highlights include regional wine and beer tastings, a local chook show, plus three competitions – Reinvent the Lamington, Jam-Making and Knitting/Crochet.
If you have an interest in all things FRESH, REGIONAL & SUSTAINABLE, this festival is for you!
To find great things to see and do in the Blue Mountains, Lithgow and Oberon Regions get your FREE Ask Roz Blue Mountains Apple or Android app.
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://goo.gl/VodfZZ