Honour Gardens, Lawson commemorate those who have served in various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The gardens were originally established in memory of those who served in World War One.
Lawson War Memorial commemorates those who have served in various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The monument was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One, but other conflicts are now remembered on the memorial. The monument acts as formal entry to the ”Honour Gardens” laid out behind the memorial.
The Honour Gardens and war memorial are associated with two highly significant architects – Sir Charles Rosenthal, who was a successful soldier who rose in the war to the rank of Major General, and Sir John Sulman, a formative force in Australian town planning, in whose honour the Sulman Prize for painting is still awarded annual. The Blue Mountains Shire Council proposed the name of Honour Avenue, and formed a local committee in 1918. John Sulman, who lived at Kihilla, was president of the Town Planning Board, and the Shire Engineer, Mr Wikner, supervised the completion of one side of the planting of at least six memorial trees, and the landscape design. Alexander Spahno who lived in The Maples, Queens Road had six acres of poultry farm, orchard and nursery and supplied the fresh flower market. He gave shrubs and daffodils while construction was undertaken by council employees and volunteers.
Below are photos of the remaining plaques below the trees in Honour Gardens.